Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Week 3 - Wednesday

Whenever I read the book of acts, and how the first century church worked, I can’t help but notice how different the churches we know nowadays, in the western world, are.They seemed to be micro-communities of fellowship, sharing and searching. I might be idealizing it, but this type of community seems to me so much closer to what the church is supposed to be.
Most churches seem to be narrowed to touch a certain type of “audience”, and because of the very structure that defines them, many people do not feel even compelled to try and see what’s going on.

Hearing about emerging churches and a new way of building the Church is refreshing and this concept echoes with personal thoughts and reflections.

Back in France I was part of the youth leading team in my church. We had this heart to see our youth really live the church out and not let it just be part of their Sunday schedule. So we invited them to meet as often as they could during the week. Organized prayer meetings, my friend and I opened our house so they could share, talk, pray, or just enjoy being together.
The results were surprising. The size of our group exploded in only a few months. The kids would invite their friends from school to whatever was going on, even prayer meetings. And they came back, brought other friends, and our home packed up a little more every week. The youth service on Sundays benefited from that too.

And we really didn’t do much. Just a little praying and opening minds to what church can be.
This is the kind of stuff I want to bring back to the old continent.

No comments: