Sunday, February 24, 2008

Week 7 – Bevans, Chapter 7

The synthetic model appears to me as a conversation between a specific culture and a theologian. The concept that each has to learn from the other seems very important to me.

To acknowledge that a culture has something to bring to us is a sign of respect. We are not imposing our values or our culture; rather we are discussing and sharing our different worldviews to build something new. Other cultures can teach us as much as we can teach them. They can bring to our view new perspectives on texts and doctrines that we know only from our western evangelical standpoint.

This seems to be a model I have been using unconsciously with friends around me. Also, this kind of open conversation seems very appropriate in a postmodern world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"This seems to be a model I have been using unconsciously with friends around me. Also, this kind of open conversation seems very appropriate in a postmodern world."

Good connections and I think you're right a lot of us may be doing this unconsciously.